Nith Catchment Fishery Trust – Project Assistant
Full-time position with 1-year initial contract (potential to be extended depending on funding)
£17,000 – £19,000 pro-rata (depending on experience)
Closing date: 4th April 2016
The Nith Catchment Fishery Trust (NCFT) is a charitable organisation whose aims are to conserve and enhance all native freshwater fish and their habitats located within the inland and coastal waters of the River Nith catchment and the jurisdictional area of the Nith District Salmon Fishery Board. The Trust is involved in a wide range of work including fishery management, research, habitat enhancement and biosecurity of the catchment.
We are looking for a Project Assistant to join our small, dedicated team.
The successful candidate will assist with:
- Assisting staff to co-ordinate and deliver the Trust’s education programme to schools and groups throughout Nithsdale
- Developing and co-ordinating a Youth Angling Club
- Assisting staff with our Invasive Non-Native Plant Species project, including the practical treatment and control of invasive plant species, the co-ordination of volunteers and keeping accurate progress records.
- Assisting with a range of work carried out by the Trust, including electrofishing surveys, habitat surveys and restoration work, barrier assessments and easement, invertebrate surveys, data collection and entry, report writing and the associated administration. There may also be the requirement to assist the Nith District Salmon Fishery Board with some enforcement work.
The candidate must:
- be enthusiastic and have an understanding of aquatic conservation
- have a degree in an environmental/biological discipline and experience of working in an environmental organisation or the equivalent work experience
- have excellent IT skills, specifically of Microsoft office packages, WordPress and databases. GIS would be an advantage.
- have good communication skills
- hold a full, clean UK driving licence (preferably with trailer category)
The hours are based on 40 hours per week and will involve flexible working hours including evenings and weekends. In return the Trust offers the successful candidate a competitive salary, clothing allowance and vocational training.
If you are interested, please post or email your CV and a covering letter to:
Debbie Parke, Nith Catchment Fishery Trust, 37 George Street, DUMFRIES, DG1 1EB